Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Peaches and Braflix

Okay, so it's been a while. You might wonder where I've been -- the truth is, I actually found a job, decided to go back to grad school, and got knocked up all within the span of about three months, so I've been busy. Really, really, busy. What, you might ask, could bring me out of blog semi-retirement during pregnancy-induced narcolepsy, full time work schedule, and over-read, over-written grad student status? Two things, actually: 1) the return of the Real Housewives of Atlanta (see previous post); and 2) some of the strange things that I've learned happen when you're pregnant -- both of which are just too good not to share. (And the insomnia I have clearly helps, too.) Here goes nothing...

We rejoin the cast of the Real Housewives right where they left off: in the middle of a hot mess. If you need a refresher on the characters, see previous post Coming out of the Closet. It appears that the philanthropically-challenged, but good-intentioned, DeShawn Snow has not rejoined us for the inevitable train wreck that will ensue this season -- she was sweet, but oh-so-boring. That being said, she will be missed if only for her charity fund-depleaters and her unique pronunciation of the word "jewelry" that sounds like she's picking out a "jury". Farewell, sweet DeShawn. There is a new addition: Kandi Burruss, who allegedly is a successful pop songwriter and singer; although her speaking voice sounds faintly reminiscent of a person who has had their nose stopped up with a clothespin and has been administered a mild dose of horse tranquilizer. Kandi does look like she could probably put someone in a half-Nelson and induce paralysis in about ten seconds if really pushed to her limit and so I have high hopes for actually seeing that happen this season. I would be remiss if I didn't mention some other new "additions": our friend Kim has clearly scored a new wig and set of breasts for the occasion, so I'm sure that the season will not dissapoint. We join the 'wives in process of a semi-shakeup: perennial frenemies Sheree and NeNe have reconciled and somehow Kim, in this high stakes game of musical chairs, is the only one who has no friends at the time. Clearly Lisa's promise to "flip [her] over the couch" hasn't quite been forgotten by either party and somehow her old-new BFF Sheree has dropped Kim as fast as the first samples of She by Sheree. Kim's attempt to "clear the air" with Sheree and NeNe resulted in a screaming and hair-pulling match, the completion of which I much look forward to in the third episode. So that's where we are with them, now here's where we are with me...

My body has been invaded by aliens. I am five months pregnant and part of my insomnia is due to the fact that I'm simply so uncomfortable that I can't sleep at all. Nothing about me belongs to me anymore. I was a vegan, work-out-obsessed marathon runner 4 months ago -- I'm still all of those things, but I feel as if someone has taken an air pump and inflated me -- particularly up top. I've always had a semi-flat chest, which has made exercise much more comfortable than it has been in recent weeks. Somehow in the span of 3 months, I went from a 32B to a 34DD. For those of you who are used to being big bosomed, I'm sure you might laugh at me, but for those of us who have not been so blessed, getting a visit from the Titty Fairy on a seemingly daily basis is slightly disconcerting. As if I don't have enough to keep me busy on the weekends with my rigorous school schedule, I have to add buying new bras to the agenda on at least a bi-monthly basis. Once this whole ordeal is done, I'm trying to figure out what to do with this collection of monster brasierres: I could save them for alien invasion round two if I can ever handle it; donate them to other needy large-chested women; be "green" and recycle them for use as sun-bonnets; or burn them in a hippie-like ritual when I am finally liberated back to my prepregnancy size and occassional bralessness (so not an option right now). Some of my bras I have only worn once before outgrowing them -- once! This is not only annoying, but it's getting expensive. Women share prom dresses, work outfits, and even maternity clothes -- what we really need is a cute little service like Netflix for bras: Somewhere that pregnant women can send outgrown almost-new merchandise and receive something newish that fits until they need to return it for the next size up? Seriously -- they should have a program where you can choose the one-bra-a-month plan, the multiple-bras-a-month plan, etc. I would gladly invest $9 or $10 a month for 9 months in order to have mildly happy boobs rather than constantly forking over $20-$40 a pop for something that will only fit me for two weeks. Until there is such a thing as "Braflix" (perhaps my next project after I'm done with gradschool if no one else does it for me), I'm going to have to suffer with the 24/7 sports bra and all of the unfortunate fashion choices that come with accommodating racerbacks in bright colors with a Nike swoosh emblasoned across the top.

No comments: