Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Small Things


I'm on my way to the DMV. Ugh. What a drag. The last time I went, I had to wait in line for 30 minutes to take a number, then sat for over an hour waiting for my turn only to find out that my father let my insurance lapse when I was in law school. The fact that he spaced to pay for car insurance is sadly not the surprising part. What is truly shocking is that somehow, after 8 years and 3 serious hurricanes, the New Orleans DMV still has a record of my father's failure to keep up my car insurance. The fine was going to be $225. In cash only (which sounded kind of shady, to be honest -- what kind of government agency runs a cash-only business?). Because I'm no idiot, I don't make a habit of walking the streets of New Orleans (especially the charming DMV neighborhood) with even one C-note, or with anything larger than a 20; and because there was no ATM, I had to leave the DMV empty-handed. Now, after several weeks of mentally preparing myself for the chaotic cluster-f*$! that is the DMV, I have something small to which I can look forward: the animal friendly license plate!! As you know, I had been glum for several weeks about the "Sportsman's Paradise" license plate being my only option. Now, having undertaken some fundraising volunteer work for the Humane Society of Louisiana, I have found out that the animal friendly license plate indeed exists. It's a small victory, but a significant one. And it gives me something to look forward to at the DMV aside from two hours of unparalleled people-watching. If you don't get another post soon (no doubt the experience will be blog-worthy), send a search party to the DMV on Airline Highway in Metairie, Louisiana.
Off I go to stuff my bra with Benjamins .......

1 comment:

Kiki said...

Yeah for the license plate!!